what's the point?
Today something funny happened.
So, just to put everything in place, I bought a 750 reais bag. It’s a pretty, useful and good quality bag that even though I think it’s quite expensive, I also think it is a great purchase. But as with everything else in my life, I had doubts and started talking with people from work to see what they would think.
A part from the nice “go for it” comments, one of them said something kind of interesting: come on, that’s too expensive, in no time you’ll be able to buy 10 of those for 70 reais.
But who said I need 10 of them?
I work at a company that sells clothing and tries a bit hard to be fast fashion and everyday I’m surrounded by hundreds of pieces that people are gonna buy someday. And even though I work at the quality department, I learned pretty fast that nothing lasts forever and clothing lasts less than you expect. Much less of you ask me. But I know brands that have clothing that will probably last way longer and the point is, they also cost a lot more. You can’t expect to buy a 35 reais shirt and hope it lasts forever. And you can’t buy a 70 reais bag and hope it lasts forever – you will just have to keep buying 70 reais bags forever and with that, generate a hell lot of garbage.
But if you buy a 150 reais shirt and a 750 bag, you might not have to buy those things over and over and over again. And I think that is the point.
I’ve put some of my other bags to sell and this year I gave away so many clothes that I started to wonder what was the point buying all that – just because I liked that shirt, it doesn’t mean I need to buy it. Just because the bag is cheap, I don’t need to buy it.
So I guess less is really more. And I finally realised that.
So, just to put everything in place, I bought a 750 reais bag. It’s a pretty, useful and good quality bag that even though I think it’s quite expensive, I also think it is a great purchase. But as with everything else in my life, I had doubts and started talking with people from work to see what they would think.
A part from the nice “go for it” comments, one of them said something kind of interesting: come on, that’s too expensive, in no time you’ll be able to buy 10 of those for 70 reais.
But who said I need 10 of them?
I work at a company that sells clothing and tries a bit hard to be fast fashion and everyday I’m surrounded by hundreds of pieces that people are gonna buy someday. And even though I work at the quality department, I learned pretty fast that nothing lasts forever and clothing lasts less than you expect. Much less of you ask me. But I know brands that have clothing that will probably last way longer and the point is, they also cost a lot more. You can’t expect to buy a 35 reais shirt and hope it lasts forever. And you can’t buy a 70 reais bag and hope it lasts forever – you will just have to keep buying 70 reais bags forever and with that, generate a hell lot of garbage.
But if you buy a 150 reais shirt and a 750 bag, you might not have to buy those things over and over and over again. And I think that is the point.
I’ve put some of my other bags to sell and this year I gave away so many clothes that I started to wonder what was the point buying all that – just because I liked that shirt, it doesn’t mean I need to buy it. Just because the bag is cheap, I don’t need to buy it.
So I guess less is really more. And I finally realised that.
Comments
Post a Comment